17 June, 2009

Self-congratulating

I went to church with the LDS translators on Sunday and in their testimonies they frequently commented that they were happy to serve.
That they felt they were instruments in the hands of God to teach these poor people in this "pueblo olvidado"

I was a little taken aback by a couple of them, because I did not see them working particularly hard.

I pondered
Certainly I will see the work of raising children, the dignity of working campesinos and comprehend the tremendous effort to care for a family in a different perspective.

Certainly I will feel this affection all my life for women I have kissed in greeting and children I found lost and men who treated skin conditions with the only medicine available, that for live stock. I will always wonder about the woman to whom I had to translate the news that her cancer had spread to her lungs and she had only a year to live. I thought about the doctors advice to her: "Enjoy one more Christmas, enjoy one more year with your family who loves you" to the daughter "put her where she can see the sunset over the beach"

I think perhaps THEY are the instruments in the hands of God to teach ME.
Posted by Picasa