17 June, 2009

A Public Health Dentist

I'd never heard of the Public Health Service before, except that they worked on Indian Reservations. On this adventure I met several Public Health providers of all kinds.
I translated several days for Doctor Lori and liked her.
Some years ago she said she was tired of "selling herself" and that she was pushing her practice all the time, and when her husband died she said she evaluated her own life. "What would I say about my life if it were to end suddenly like that?"
And went to work in Public Health.

I was glad to hear her philosophy of service. She does all she can when the opportunity is in front of her. I saw her give gifts of mouthwash or spend extra time explaining something. I frequently saw her do an adjacent tooth or additional service while she was at it when the "order" for care was just one tooth.
She was kind and patient with the patients who often came in with severe problems.
And then she did not continue worrying after. She was satisfied with what she had done.
That would be good.
Posted by Picasa