17 June, 2009

A Dentist's Story

This is one of the dentists I worked with on the days I was in their office.
He didn't need a translator because he's from the Dominican Republic. He learned English in high school and speaks very well (which tells me a lot about him because most people don't take high school language classes seriously enough to say much)
He left his practice in a good area of the capital city to spend 2 months giving assistance.
He showed me pictures of a tooth he rebuilt completely.
At that stage of decay, in this remote enviroment, most dentists just pull the tooth! I asked him "Why did you do that?" He shrugged. "I thought it was the best thing" he said.

I was glad to hear stories of this kind.
Until this adventure I had never met professionals that donate service of this kind before, I only know ones that see you for 15 minutes and charge you $800.
Posted by Picasa