02 November, 2009

a Tree Grows in Cali

This weekend was a big program about reforestation, and Valerie, future environmental engineer, found a break in the heavy rain to plant a tree.

I wish people could see the trememdous effort the armed forces are making to change things. There is a "Human Rights Village" on every air force base. Training is done how to handle peasants who resist military presence, and a lot of real-life possibilities at hospitals, houses and in rural areas. They are very conscious of human rights, we're always meeting someone on the way to a HR conference. Wish Senator Leahy could see this, but politicians only talk to weenies from inside the beltway.

They also invented "a bullet of life" which is a small, bright yellow (to be visible) plastic device which is placed in the open chamber of arms carried. I occasionally saw arms carried by students who hurry into class from patrol, but when I saw the yellow, I just said to leave it at the side.
Posted by Picasa