16 May, 2010

Your Mom goes to Guatemala


Remember the days when your Air Force dad travelled and your mom stayed at home with kids and did yard work? I'm not complaining, your dad was always considerate, kept in touch and I understood my job.
But those days are over, mostly. I travel with your dad sometimes and stay in wonderful hotels and your dad spoils me terribly

Thanks to the sacrifice and efforts of the Skinner grandparents I was able to get away and went to Antigua Guatemala on your dad's last trip. We were supported by the Guatemalan Air Force, so we saw a lot of sights in a comfortable way. Also for free. We stayed in a wonderful hotel that looked like a scene from the movie "Avatar". At least the walkway behind me with hanging orchids looked like that.

The national music is the wooden-keyed marimba. I'd seen it on TV, but never seen it played by 7 guys all doing different things before. I also saw young energetic guys dancing and playing the marimba at the same time, fusing modern style with traditional instruments. Purists cringe, but I think its delightful.
Posted by Picasa