28 May, 2010

A Favourite Story



I remembered a story that I wanted to write for you.

It goes like this:
A missionary is in the MTC trying to learn a language.
He struggles and feels he can't do it.

He asks his instructors for help and gets the answer that he must rely on the Spirit
and that the Holy Ghost will help him learn.

The missionary-language student studies harder and harder and only bcomes more miserable. "I don't feel the Spirit" he insists.

The MTC teachers consult with each other and can't understand why the student doesn't feel he can progress, the student is clearly doing all he should do, there is a mental block here somewhere.

One day a maverick instructor gets an idea, and unannounced he takes the student from his language classroom and out to the hallroom. Then the instructor criticizes, yells and makes remarks about the study skills of the missionary-student. When the instructor finally stops for breath, he lowers his voice and asks: "Now, Elder, Do you feel the Spirit?"

The missionary bites his lower lip and says in a low voice and says "I really, really do not feel the Spirit."

Then the instructor explains this:
"Because you were born to parents who taught you the gospel and you have kept the commandments all your life, you didn't realize that all your life you have had the Spirit with you. You've always felt the companionship of the Holy Ghost and so did not realize it until a moment like now when you are aware of the absence of it.

These last difficult months of the move, and all, I take comfort in this story
I didn't realize how many gifts the Lord had given me.
Posted by Picasa