02 August, 2009

Building Colombia

A student told me a story about a Spaniard friend of his who wanted to become a Colombian citizen. The student, who is a young professional, wanted to know WHY a person would want to be a Colombian; they are often discriminated against when travelling.
The Spaniard said this: In Europe and in North America, everything is already done. The institutions are stable, infrastructure is built, social security, and government are all done. But here in Colombia we are building. It's exciting and I want to be part of it.

I think that is the sentiment closest to what I feel about our time here.
We have been part of this growth, advancement in security and transparency, and training of people. I am excited by the young professionals I have met here. They have a high caliber of education and social conscience.
Posted by Picasa