There was my 13th when mum surprised me with a store-bought cake to take to young women's and share. I saved the gold leaves from the decorations on top for many years. One year, I took Val and Kate out for lunch and bought them a cute shirt each, that was fun.
But mostly I just stay busy on my day...
I was trying to balance the cheque book and do the budget once and was not having much success, when I realized that my birthday was 2 days before payday, and suddenly I remembered the hamburger...
One year dad said for my birthday he would take me for a hamburger to Hoppy's Drive-In. (That was back when drive-ins were summer luxury food and closed in the winter.) We didn't go often, and it was a thrill to go, just me and dad, and he bought ONE hamburger.
I still remember the wonderful aroma and how it was wrapped in that double foil and wax paper wrap.
Dad went to the car wash and I nibbled that hamburger while he washed the car. I meant to save half for him, but I kept nibbling around the edges of the half I was saving, and then down to one bite, but it was so wonderful...and sorry dad....I ate it.
So, many years later I thought about that, and wondered if that was all they could manage at the time, one wonderful hamburger 2 days before payday. Kind of shifts your perspective when your kids whine for the newest electonics, doesn't it? Makes me smile, though, when I think of that hamburger.
