17 September, 2012

Not Really

I am tired of being criticized about parenting.
People say:
"Your kids are not your peers, you shouldn't..."
"You should have MADE that kid finish...."
"You should have enforced that..."
"Why didn't you..."
and my favourite: "SISter SKINner, did it ever occur to you that..."

Here's the confession:
If I had to die today and face God,
I would be sure of one thing; Everything I knew how to do,
I did. And a lot of things I didn't know how to do as well.

And we did it alone. No extended family, no community support,
No church youth leaders. We were never anywhere long enough
for anyone to help us move in or out, or for us to be "from here"
or "one of us"

The thing about kids is we can't "make" them into what you want.
We can only teach them
values
character
and a little common sense
But then you have to let go
You have to let them become the man or the woman
that they were intended to be.

You can't make kids conform.
Not really
But they will remember you loved them
and be drawn back to your company.