25 March, 2012

Don't Identify Yourself by What You AREN'T














Brian remarked the other day that we seem to identify ourselves by what we AREN'T
instead of what we ARE.

I have considered this for the last while, and I believe we all do this.
We aren't from there,
we don't do that,
we're not like them.

But we're making a mistake. It separates us from other people.

The other day two students were acting extraordinarily silly in class, and when I went to separate them, they said
"No, you can't separate us, we're brother and sister!"
I said "no you're not, go take your seats."
"how do you know?"
"I see on the attendance sheet that you have different last names."
"Well, we have the same father."
I said, "you go back far enough, I'm your sister too, so let's just all finish this classwork up, ok?"

They stared at me for a minute, then it occurred to me that they were African-American, and hadn't considered this before.
Then the girl said "You're right--know know, you go back FAR enough...."

Thank you God for reminding me
that we have different last names but we have the same Father.