You don't need a lot of translating for a project as hands on as this, so I jumped in and painted too.
These teenagers are students in the school who helped too. They worked like furies and we hurried to get as much done as possible.
When they learned they would get no lunch from US resources, they worked anyway, and came back again the next day.
One of the days we painted was a Sunday.
I thought about that.
Non Government Organizations, (NGOs) and doctors and military personnel rotated work days and only worked 5 days of every 7, but translators were needed every day.
I decided that if the Lord Jesus were here, he would feel compassion for Tumaco, and that a translator who was painting on the sabbath was worshipping. After a fashion.
In any case, I gave my MRE (military rations issued to us for lunch)
except for the crackers and cheese,
to these guys.
I think one of the most important things these guys learn in a project like this is "Look what you can do with a little paint and a little help!"