It is wonderful to see how a child "steps up" to cope and keep up with a new situation, and that is exactly what Michael did on his visit to Lima and Cuzco. He kept up with the adults, sat through a 4 hour cultural event, museum tours, and shopping with the general's wife.
He tolerated it like a man, that is, he sat and waited patiently. He made long hikes at 10, 000 feet, and greater elevation even than that , stayed off things that were roped off, spoke an educated Spanish, ate new foods, and behaved wonderfully in nice restaurants.
Keep an eye on Michael in the future to see what he does!
He's a great little traveller, and the small carry-on was his to bring, but we kept changing things around, what with all the little bags we were carrying. When we boarded the plane to return from Cuzco to Lima we realized we didn't have the carry-on suitcase.
Here's the amazing story.
The first remarkable thing is that neither Kris nor Michael made a big fuss. They discussed it mildly, and went to the flight attendants. The flight attendants said we couldn't leave the plane once we had boarded, but promised they'd find it. We told them where we thought it was, and for the first time we had NOT put a luggage tag on it We said it was ...um...black, and had a yellow ribbon on the handle. (right, like ALL suitcases are black)
After a few minutes, they said they had found it and had loaded it into the cargo and it would come out with the suitcases.
Now, friends, I am a suspicious one. I know that sometimes people say what they think will keep you quiet, and in my heart I didn't believe them. But I told Kris I would take it as a sign from God, that He had a personal interest in our little adventures if it really did arrive.
Well, imagine, there was the suitcase, it came out with the rest of the luggage, with its yellow ribbon. We looked inside and there was everything in it. electronics, jewellery everything.
The Canadian with us said "Air Canada would never do that" and I thought about the Miami airport and thought probably no one in the big countries would, but God loves Latin America.