05 March, 2011

I Am Not american?

Many years ago, Pam Wood said to me that she had grown to love Alberta.
She said: "the hills make me think of a woman lying on her side."
That image has stayed with me, and the yearning for my home has never gone away. The sense of loss is greater as years go on, partly because I wander the earth (as you see in this blog) like a pilgrim, with no clear identity. I am occasionally introduced as Colombian, and certainly considered a foreigner here, which is frequently reinforced in the US. The other day I was warned by an immigration official to always carry my green card with me.
sigh

I am not "american";
though I live in North America;
(which is part of the Americas)
which should make me an "american."

Geographically, Canadians are certainly americans,
as are Venezuelans.
But not Hawaiians;
they're out of the middle of the ocean
just like the US Virgin Islands;
(who really shouldn't say they are american;
or even virgins.)

How could two whole continents
lose their name to one constituent?
Where were we when the US went
and took the word "american" away?

But to be fair to them
their other name options
like "USA-ers" and "United States-ens"
were pretty bad.

Still I want to be as "american"
as the French are European.
Or as those in Antarctica
aren't Arctican,
even if they're just penguins

That leaves us Canadians
as "Northern North Americans"
But Alaska's north-er, (curse them!)
We're surrounded by "americans"!

I just called those USA-ers "americans"
a name meant for two continents,
not just them.
But If I said I were "american"
people'd probably think I came from Maine.

But I think I have a plan
Let's become "Antarcticans"
and join up with the penguins,
for just like them:
we're not "americans."

I Am Not American by the Arrogant Worms" from "Toast" 2004