24 March, 2011

Michael Visits Peru

















A few years ago, I heard one of my siblings criticize my parents. I was shocked.
I am convinced that our parents did everything humanly possible to
1) hold the family together in spite of everything
2) feed, care for, and educate their family on few resources, and taught us how to do the same
3) taught core values of work, honesty, and integrity

That's how thngs were for 5,000 years. It was a sacrifice to raise your family and you did it for necessity and love

NOW, suddenly, the rules have changed--we're into "sensitivity" and "realizing our dreams." Some people think modern marriage is about convenience and romance, when I insist that sometimes it's holding on with your fingernails when everything elso goes bad. I still say it was the right thing to sacrifice so much to stay together through 22 military assignments (when other wives chose to stay behind)

Couples like Kris and I are caught between the generations, as though someone changed the contract and we didn't realize till later.

Anyway--we have no inheritance to give our children. When we are gone there will be no dividing of the family homestead.
1) Instead we have given our children a wide world.
2) They're not afraid to go out and talk to people who don't look or talk like them.
2) They revel in new foods and consider other ways to do things.
3) they're not afraid to go new places (fatigue requires rest, but then they set out again)
4) When you ask them a question, for example: "what do you know about Cuba?"
They do not parrot something they heard somewhere else; they give an opinion they formed for themselves from original source material.

You can't take that to the bank.

This is Sacsayhuamán, outside Cuzco. You know us, we LIKE to climb, and we climbed all over these walls. It is uncertain what the complex was originally built for, but it was used as a defense during la conquista, when Manco Inca tried to retake Cuzco from the Spaniards. It is amazing to touch something so ancient, and disorienting to eat in restaurants whose foundation predates the organization of the United States by maybe 400 years--

You will notice that Michael is high up, looking down across the field. It was interesting to watch him talk to people (in his cute Spanish) and ask questions. He was often sober and thoughtful. I am more and more enamored of this little guy who is a really interesting person.