10 October, 2010

Your Mom Works in Special Education


















For the past several days I have been working in Special Ed at the Middle School, ages 13-15.

There are some students who can't speak, there is one who is 6'2 with size 17 shoes, some who speak other languages at home, some in wheel chairs....

I think this week we saw the whole range of behaviours, shouting, crying, going on youtube (sigh) obsessiveness with maps, ripped clothing.
The team of teachers is a good one and I liked working with them, but I paused to think this:

We may think we are frustrated in not getting progress,
But how much more frustrated must they be when they are unable to make us understand?
The tall student should be playing basketball, not colouring ....they always give him the broken crayons

The good thing about being a substitute is that I can afford to be optimistic, to do situps with students on the gym floor, engage in play and sit and colour with them....


Posted by Picasa

photo courtesy of Amy