14 October, 2010

Things Move So Fast

This is possibly the first generation that has obsoleted itself by refusing to move along with basic changes in technology. I do not say we should be computer experts, but I keep meeting people who refuse to work with things that are now permanent in our society.
I think of a possible headline:
¨Local Man Knows All He Wants to Know About the Middle East¨

That may be a personal preference, but it means
1) we cannot recognize problems when we see them, like credit fraud for example,
2) we can´t deal with problems or know where or how get help when they happen.
3) we can be of no help distinguishing between good and bad situations to the rising generation (like giving useful advice about social networking, for example)
4) we pass on incorrect prejudices to the next generation (¨when people speak Spanish they are swearing¨ I actually heard a kindergartner say this--for sure that came from home)

We need to know how to get services for less, and know when we don´t need them. Remember that these corporations have 100 lawyers looking out for their interests, and on your side there is only YOU. Will you be pressured to pay $900 for your phone bill when it should only be $450?
Yep, I know.

I thought this with a real start yesterday.
I am the classic 50-year-old suburban housewife
(The ones they put in commercials for dish-washing detergent)
yet there I was wearing clothes made in Bogota,
carrying a bag made in Guatemala,
reading in Spanish,
speaking in English,
and sitting in the airport in Santiago de Chile.
I gotta be awake!
Can´t sit down and just wait for the next generation...