08 April, 2010

A New One

I think precisely 30 years ago, my mother said she could give me something to help me when I got married. We talked about some kind of open house, but then I said what I really needed was a sewing machine.
I knew what kind I wanted because I had been looking for about a year. (Nerds don't eat at restaurants or buy new clothes during their university years, they look at practical things, I guess)

So we ordered a Sears machine that arrived on the bus from Thunder Bay, and I took it with me.

Over the last 30 years I have sewed underwear, swimsuits, kids clothes, and curtains. One year I earned money for summer semester by sewing for the university. I mended and quilted on that trusty machine.

On the last move it got damaged one more time, and a repair would still not make it reliable, so I got this new one.

The new machine is precise and smooth, with a built-in needle-threader, but finicky about thread type and frequent needle changes, but that's how the modern things are.

I thought about your Grandpa Helmer Fisk and his old boat motor. He would tinker with it, mix oil and gasoline in an old tin can he had rinsed out in the lake. I think I remember a piece of wire rigged up on it somewhere. But he could always get it going again. My dad admired the imprecision of Grandpa's mechanics, (he being a precise mechanic.)
Posted by Picasa