This is certainly true for Katie and her celphone. From past experience with her and her cel I have learned that
1) Things aren´t black and white
2) there is no "line" you cross. It´s just your life where you do your best, or not.
nor is there a point you cross when repair is not possible or your life is irretrievable.
nor is there a point you cross when repair is not possible or your life is irretrievable.
3) you can´t control the cost (of anything in life) the way you want to
4) you can´t just "cut service" to someone, because you love your people and you want them to be in contact.
What you want is for them to gain internal controls.
What you want is for them to gain internal controls.
You know the joke "how do you gain good judgement? by making mistakes, and you make mistakes because you experienced moments of bad judgement"
This I have learned.
Ok so we move, we get new phones, Katie is happy with hers but puts it down for an instant and it´s gone. I want to yell, but instead: your mom knows how to fix this kind of stuff, we go and use our best negotiating skills and replace the phone for what it would have cost to replace if we had bought insurance, and then immediately add insurance to each line.
OK
good
Then I get my first bill, it looks good, that is what I projected the cost to be.
I get the second one and almost have a heart attack. It´s $992.
I search the plan details, it looks correct
I search the bill details, there it is:
Katie calling Colombia, a lot.
Now, we had bought her calling cards, she had a way to call.
But somehow she didn´t get it.
Again I held my tongue, I said
"I´m not going to yell at you, but you need to give me your phone"
she gives up her beautiful phone and I put it aside for awhile.
She says she´s sorry
she didn´t know it would be so costly,
she missed her friends,
that I was busy and didn´t buy her another calling card.
I say I understand, and I will fix it, but she can´t have her phone back yet
you need to understand how expenses of these kinds can crush us.
So I get my thoughts arranged and after an hour on the phone (thanks AT&T)
we get an arrangement (thank you very much)
and the cost is reduced by $500
That´s a miracle that reduces stress all around.
But there remains about $400 to pay.
Then I go to Katie
I say " I am not willing to see you suffer
nor be cut off from the world in this way.
I am going to give you your phone back
the line was never cut off,
you still have unlimited text
and calls.
But understand me,
do not call Colombia again."
"No mom, I won´t. thank you mom."
Later in the day, I am musing on it
I think to myself
"I´ll bet that´s how God feels.
something like that:
"I am not willing to make you suffer.
I need you to stay in touch with me
I know how to fix this
I have a way to cut the costs,
and I will take care of the rest.
But understand me
Don´t do that again."
How funny,
I felt such a feeling
that
"yes, you did understand Me"
And in view of my own offenses to God,
I am glad for the parable of the cellular
And thank God for the bumps and bruises
we receive during parenting too.
Ok so we move, we get new phones, Katie is happy with hers but puts it down for an instant and it´s gone. I want to yell, but instead: your mom knows how to fix this kind of stuff, we go and use our best negotiating skills and replace the phone for what it would have cost to replace if we had bought insurance, and then immediately add insurance to each line.
OK
good
Then I get my first bill, it looks good, that is what I projected the cost to be.
I get the second one and almost have a heart attack. It´s $992.
I search the plan details, it looks correct
I search the bill details, there it is:
Katie calling Colombia, a lot.
Now, we had bought her calling cards, she had a way to call.
But somehow she didn´t get it.
Again I held my tongue, I said
"I´m not going to yell at you, but you need to give me your phone"
she gives up her beautiful phone and I put it aside for awhile.
She says she´s sorry
she didn´t know it would be so costly,
she missed her friends,
that I was busy and didn´t buy her another calling card.
I say I understand, and I will fix it, but she can´t have her phone back yet
you need to understand how expenses of these kinds can crush us.
So I get my thoughts arranged and after an hour on the phone (thanks AT&T)
we get an arrangement (thank you very much)
and the cost is reduced by $500
That´s a miracle that reduces stress all around.
But there remains about $400 to pay.
Then I go to Katie
I say " I am not willing to see you suffer
nor be cut off from the world in this way.
I am going to give you your phone back
the line was never cut off,
you still have unlimited text
and calls.
But understand me,
do not call Colombia again."
"No mom, I won´t. thank you mom."
Later in the day, I am musing on it
I think to myself
"I´ll bet that´s how God feels.
something like that:
"I am not willing to make you suffer.
I need you to stay in touch with me
I know how to fix this
I have a way to cut the costs,
and I will take care of the rest.
But understand me
Don´t do that again."
How funny,
I felt such a feeling
that
"yes, you did understand Me"
And in view of my own offenses to God,
I am glad for the parable of the cellular
And thank God for the bumps and bruises
we receive during parenting too.