18 October, 2009

It Feels like "La Tusa"

So my job has finished. I feel like we built a good and credible program, and I argued that an English program needs a native speaker and someone with teaching credentials. But it fell on deaf ears. I felt jilted (that's the tusa--a Colombian word)

So I pouted in bed awhile, but my bed is a meeting place where everyone recovers from stress, I guess. So dad said "Stop whining and go do something you like."

So I went with my friend Marcela to "The Marriage of Figaro" in the Teatro de Bellas Artes by an international cast and supported by the Bogota Symphony. I didn't realize it was 3 1/2 hours long, but it was so well done and the costumes were wonderful. Especially well done was the aria by the Condessa who feels sad and forgotten, and the final chorus (tutti contento) where he sings "condessa perdono" brought tears to my eyes. (see, I know some things) The only down side is listening in Italian and reading supertitles (not subtitles) in Spanish as fast as I can.

As I mentioned, Bogota is a good place to get culture. We bought cheap tickets about 35 dollars. In that other country tickets would be out of my reach. Also the audience is cultured--they know the works and know when to clap.

We also went to see "El Quijote" in La Candelaria. I got dad to help get me permission to go there after dark--geez. It was in a quinta that was redone to a theatre. Sort of expermental theatre, but told some of the lesser known stories from Don Quijote (no windmills) with boats, fishermen, giants, processions and shooting expeditions. I ought to read the Quijote some day but did you know the 2 volumes are thicker than the Bible? (Quixote is English)
Posted by Picasa