I was busy with several things and the kitchen was warm and cozy.
A man came to the kitchen door with some errand and I gave him a muffin.
The man stamped the snow from his boots on the mat at the door and
I had the impression that he was cold, so cold, and he held the warm muffin in his hands a moment, and put it near his face before he ate it.
I always carried the impression of feeding hungry people, at the time I suppose the dream reminded me to have extra food on hand as we always seemed to be packing up food for some needy family.
I kind of forgot about the dream as the years went on but we had more and more people over to eat. I found it irritating when people were so suspicious of food....does it have brown sugar? or nuts? or red dye #5? Eat or don't eat, was my thought; don't make me hear about it. My perspective may have encouraged me to study food preparation and related science and I feel like I'm a good cook.
Then one day almost 2 years ago, an embassy family was moving to trendier digs, and they found they couldn't fit their beautiful custom 2 m x 2 m table with 12 chairs. So my nice husband bought it from them for me. Actually he hired 3 people to haul it (top is all one piece) up the side of the building, to the roof, onto the patio and then through the patio doors. That table will never move again.
Since then we have entertained more people than ever. We feed generals and colonels both foreign and domestic. We feed missionaries and the genuinely hungry, and a lot of students and visiting military. We had about 40 people over on Friday and last week too.
Edith and I do all the preparation from scratch; chopping, juicing, slicing, baking of bread and arranging on nice trays, takes 4 - 5 hours to prep and present. The other day when my neck was sore and my feet were tired, I remembered the dream. I think now, after a few years perspective, that the people who come to eat at our table are not hungry for food, but for friendship, consolation and companionship. And I will feed them fish and honeycomb and thank God that they are our fellow passengers in this life.
