Haiti is being called a failed state by some, and the Colombian National Police have contributed their experience and training to help alleviate the disorder there since 2004.
These 18 members of the Colombian national police are on their way to work with the United Nations in Haiti. They come to the language lab to polish their English. So, together with Sgt Blanco (the Grammar Wizard) we worked to accelerate their English in the short time we have available before they leave.
We used videos from youtube, all kinds of activities, role plays and as much job-specific vocabulary as possible. They came to the house twice for our famous 'English Parties" (food and conversation) as well.
I understand they also got Peacekeeping English from the British Council, but I was pleased that they gave me so much credit for their progress.
We went to lunch today with the commission, a UN director and an Advisor to the Minister of Defense. (Should I write Defence? do we use British English or american English in the UN?) One of the advisers to the Commission who worked there 2 years with the UN gave this advice: He said "You will spend 2 months thinking about what you can't find in Haiti, saying "It's not like home." "After 2 months you will realize you're NOT at home and begin to love where you are. Haiti is like a dear girlfriend. Not the prettiest, but you love her for her personality." He then gave them a charge to represent the best of their country. He told them they would be the best ambassadors for Colombia, and that their citizens had a reputation for being hard-working and talented in their field. (Which is true) I applaud these young people who are dedicated professionals and have all the right motives for rebuilding a nation.
On a personal note: I am pleased to have a small part in the restoring of some order to a needy nation. I am also noting that this is the first time I have been invited as a professional and praised by the students and by the advisor to the Minister of Defense (he said this is the best English of any group so far) and brought my husband as a guest.
It's always been the other way around!
