26 August, 2014

Like a Layer Cake




I have made no secret that I'm disappointed to be stuck here in the desert.
Some places here are red, dry and absolutely bare.
From the air it must look like the surface of the Planet Mars

The other day, I wished I knew more about geology and I commented to Michael about the layers and seams in the rock exposed as the river had cut through them over the ages. We read the sign that showed how the "newer" rock had actually been forced under the "older" rock. Amazing to observe the actual folds in the seams of the rock.

I thought I imagined God smiling like a benevolent Father
"look Honey,
try to imagine the gargantuan forces at work
that forced this part of the earth up from its former level,
My team of hydrologist-angels have their best work here.
Look how the river has gouged out its channel,
seeking the softer seams as it cuts through this plateau.
Yes, it's bare, but try to see it as
'there's no biology to cover up all this nice geology.'
And there you see it
like a great layer cake
in front of you
To read the history of the earth"


Photo: Kris and Michael hike Mt Charleston
where there is a little more biology,
along with the layer-cake of geology behind them