30 March, 2014

Asking Your Mum for Advice is Like Tossing a Coin


image from wikihow.com

My kids ask my advice all the time. About cars, clothes, studies, food.
They almost never take it though. What the heck?

In the past this caused me to doubt the quality of my advice,
I mean,
I know a lot about
option a)
option b)
and option c)
d) all of the above.
Why not take my advice and save yourself the trouble?

But then I realized flipping a coin helps make a choice
because you suddenly realize how you hope the coin will fall.

When you ask your mum for advice, you suddenly realize what you want to hear her say.
And so,
I do indeed help them make decisions when they ask my opinions
by being a sounding board.
still...
I wish I could spare them the trouble of testing out all those options

Like Winston Churchill said
You can always count on americans to do the right thing,
after they've tried everything else"