03 January, 2014

Oh, Those Smart Phones


Everyone over 50 hates cellphones in everyone's hand,
and everyone under 40 is devoted to them... here's how I see them.

No one is angry if you look up a new word in your dictionary,
or if you check the thesaurus for a better word choice.
You may need your Spanish, French or Portuguese dictionary, especially if your friends are multinational or if you travel.
Nor are people angry if you figure the tip at a restaurant, use your calculator,
or camera, (they should be happy when you delete the bad pictures!)

People aren't upset if you read a book, do scripture study, turn in your homework, look something up in the encyclopaedia or put your appointments in a calendar. Shopping lists? recipes for this week's menus?
All on documents on my phone.

It seems wise to check your bank balance, pay your bills, and track your fitness.
Mothers have always talked to their families on the phone; solving problems as they mop the floor.



The problem is that I do all this on one device, instead of carrying all the different things in my purse.
I have the phone in my hand a lot
because mom is like the communications hub.
For everyone.
And everything.

And now I can solve problems, manage 6 phone lines, all the household accounts, keep in touch with my people all over the globe, and still find a way to listen to audio books!