18 December, 2012

What Are You Going To Do With Those Ducks?



When I was a teen, I was constantly reminded that adolescence and young adulthood is the time for preparation. Learn a language, they said, learn music, biology, math, homemaking skills, study the events of history and current events so as to comprehend the affairs of countries, study the scriptures, pursue excellence.

So I learned 2 languages and 2 instruments, did 4 or 5 "Pursuit of Excellence" programs, moved all over creation and threw myself into learning about each area, taught and learned with my children, managed my household and finances over 3, 4, 5 countries. I made my own bread and soymilk, read 25 books a year, sewed children's clothes....

As a student at University, the walk home was about 40 minutes, and when it was miserable weather, I would amuse myself by imagining the things I was preparing myself to do. I would help people, I would say to myself. I would comprehend a situation and be ready when I was needed....

For almost 40 years I have been "putting my ducks in a row" Preparing myself for...what?
To drive into this same driveway for the next 30 years?

My consolation is that my children were raised by a thinking, creative person, which has been of great benefit to them, and that my husband had someone interesting to talk to along the way. Perhaps that's the whole point

thanks to the book by Seth Godin for the title idea