We do this everyday. We "blink" people. Is this a good person, or a bad person? Do they want to trick us? Hurt us? Date us? Help us? We don't actually consciously run through "Oh, this guy's jaw muscles are clenched and his body posture indicates an aggressive stance," No, we just think "danger!" or "This person is exhibiting a genuine enjoyment smile, as indicated by the creasing in the occular orbital muscles," no, we just think, "Wow, what a nice lady!" etc.
When someone asks me a grammar question, I know the answer, but not always why, I just know how it should be from years of reading and writing correct (and that's important) English.
This is especially evident in adults who have spent years and years of study in their field.
A short while ago I said to someone, "I can't quite place your accent. I'm thinking second generation Puerto Rican, Maybe New York?" They were astonished. "How did you know?"
I know because I have heard it before and know the background to some extent
It's also important to know when your ability to "blink" is accurate and when it is not and why. Also, you need to understand when people are "blinking" you and what you should do.
This is what causes racism. You're walking down the street and you see someone of another race. (I'll use a Chinese example) A XinJiang guy is walking toward you. Despite the fact that his body language and expressions are completely passive, you tense up. The XinJiang guy senses you tensing and understands immediately what's going on in YOUR head. He blinks that YOU are a racist. So, of course, he gives you an unwelcoming expression. Now you see that expression and your feelings are confirmed. Yes, all XinJiang people mean you harm. You walk past and both of you reinforce your preconcieved notions about the other because you didn't understand the reality of what was going on.
The racists actually provoked the aggressive response from the XinJiang guy because HE was the first to react (fear, provoked purely from a preconcieved notions.) The XinJiang guy has expereinced this enough to understand (unconsciously) that this is motivated by racism, and so he reacts unpleasantly. In the end, neither party exchanges words, or even changes the path they were walking in, but both leave that very brief interaction hating each other. Or rather, reinforcing their racist ideas.
So if you were that XinJiang guy and you saw someone recoil from you on the street, the best thing to do would be to smile at them.
I love it when my children -who are now my peers--tell me something new about the world!