22 December, 2010

Bless the Hands That Prepared This Food



We always made jokes about that, you know.

Jill would say "Look, there's the hands that prepared the food!"
or "I can feel this juice and donuts nourishing and strengthening my body!"

So anyway (remember your grandma Stephania would always say "anna-ways")
anyways, for a long time your mom has been spending emotional and physical energy she does not have. I am energy-mortgaged up to the hilt.
That is, I am way tired all the time and make mistakes and drop things....

So I am toasting some taco shells in the toaster oven, and look away for a moment. Next thing, the shells are on fire (what is IN those things?)
and then the toaster oven is full of flames.

We unplug it and wait for the flames to die, but they don't, the flames go up the sides of the cupboard and catch the calendar on fire too. Talk about dumb.

So Amy is with me and we throw the calendar on the floor and stomp on it and the fire stops and we leave the toaster out on the patio full of snow. People come in and out of the kitchen and say "Is there toast burning?" We laugh and tell them about the small conflagration. Not only does Amy NOT laugh or say I am an idiot, but she is an idiot with me and helps me clean up, and we see the flakes of ash are not cupboard damage, just burned up calendar.

You will remember that your dad has no sense of smell, so he apparently doesn't notice the burned smell when he comes in. When he asks the blessing on the food, he says "bless the food that Carito has prepared for us" We can't help laughing. We say "it's a good thing the Lord blessed the hands that prepared the food or the kitchen would be on fire" We say "we'll have to skip right to 2012 because the 2011 calendar is burned up!"

But in a sober moment, I think the Lord is kind and blesses with us with something we need before we even ask for it.