05 August, 2010

Would Grandma say "Better Late than Never?"



I am embarrased to say that this is the very first year that I have ever planted and harvested.

To be clear, I planted 2 tomato sets, some basil and a bell pepper.

The smell of the tomato plants as I snap off the lower branches brings back memories of my mother showing me how to do that. She called those lower branches "suckers" and I remember clearly her explaining how and why we do that.

And now there is a tomato, warm as a puppy in my hand.
Did I tell you I like tomato sandwiches? Just toasted bread, mayo, salt, pepper and tomato sliced thickly like steak so that the whole tomato goes into the sandwich. Your dad can do this perfectly

Amy sends me pictures of her garden, with rows of plants she has raised from seeds which she tends, she says "like children" through February and March.
They say skill skips a generation. If that is the case, I hope Amy has inherited the green thumb.
Posted by Picasa