20 December, 2009

We Love Aruba


I admit I love living in a temperate area. I don't miss the four seasons at all.

We love going to islands like San Andres, but our favourite is Aruba. In low season we have the beach almost to ourselves and we swim out to the rocks and sit like mermaid and merman (?) and talk until the rocks become too hard to sit any longer, then swim back.

This time we went for 4 days and talked and swam and talked and rested. We watch for cheap flights and low season, but prices are high so we eat cheap on yogurt and sandwiches and once a day in a Dutch pancake house.

I would like to do a study someday on the language there. My theory is that the first multinationals were pirates. I think they had so many nationalities on their ships that the languages mixed and we end up with languages like "Papiamento" and
"San Andres Creole"

So we have Dutch islands like Aruba, Curacao and Bonaire where the language spoken at home is Papiamento, but school is all in Dutch, and tourism demands Spanish and English. What would americans think if a job at Taco Bell required 4 languages, but you can get away with 3? I would love to do a study on that. People seem unphased by multiple languages--and here we are in North America overcome by the idea of 2.

So anyway, the pirates enjoyed the wonderful climate, and the children of former slaves now work side by side with the children of former slave holders, and the new pirates charge $20 dollars for a sandwich.

please note your dad is supervising iguanas at lunch
Posted by Picasa