I now have a part-time, short-term job teaching English, and I do believe the process in Nevada is particularly onerous here in that you licence separately for the district and for the state and so on--
There's also the training for Sexual Harassment, Nevada Law for teachers, and teacher competency tests ($$$)
I know I can actually go to jail for not reported suspected child abuse, and that I need to run everything I say through a "mental filter" for religious references and be cautious with political remarks.
As a part-time employee I don't have to do book clubs, after school activities or picture day, though sometimes I get lunch duty....
Full time teachers do all this on a pay scale that qualifies some of them for food stamps.
Nevada is introducing a "results-based" incentive/pay program, which I believe is doomed to failure in our part of the city, because no matter how much time and effort you invest in an unmotivated student body, you can't get much more out of them than a 40% graduation rate.
But I digress.
Yesterday I decided the american school system is beyond repair when I had to do training in case of "Active Shooters" in the school.
Yes indeed. This country has decided that random acts of violence are a fact of life here, and that we have to receive training in how to recognize and deal with totally unpredictable violence in our environment. Also how to behave when the police come storming in because they don't know if you are a "bad guy" or not.
Is this what happens when people think that life is a movie?