Perhaps because of those first ones I spent alone,
perhaps because they represent so much work,
who knows why attitudes get set the way they do?
In any case
I was grumbling alone in the kitchen on Thanksgiving Day
when
suddenly
there was a dog on the patio.
A big snow-ball dog.
He looked in at me,
and I opened the door and he came in.
If he were a man he would have nodded as he entered,
and that's just what that dog seemed to do.
He came in and walked around the kitchen,
then walked around the house a little bit.
I petted him
and told him I missed my dogs.
I opened the front door for him to leave
but he didn't.
Instead, he left through the open patio door.
then
returned to ask me to open the gate.
When he went out the gate,
he turned and stood a minute watching me,
then he went away again.
I could not have been more pleased if one of the Three Nephites had visited me.
Maybe they have dogs too.