12 July, 2009

Jhon Frank Pinchao

Jhon (Spanish spelling) Pinchao of the Colombian National Police was taken prisoner after the FARC attacked the tiny town of Mitú Colombia. The fighting lasted 12 hours until the Police ran out of ammunition. He was held prisoner in the jungle and escaped in 2007 after 9 years of captivity. He walked and swam through virgin jungle for 17 days and was finally taken by some indigenous people to a Police Jungle command. He arrived dehydrated, suffering from parasites and starvation. He was the first to escape the FARC.

I read his book a couple of years ago and was impressed by the matter of factness of his story. There was no verbal strutting, no evidence of anger, resentment or desire to pay them back. In his first press conference he said that he hoped no one would suffer because of his escape.
When I finished the book I thought how I would like to meet this man.

Earlier this year I read the book by the 3 rescued american hostages. Quite a different tone I must say. The book was written for another audience, for sure, but it's full of snide remarks about how stupid the captors were and how they suffered. At the end of the book, I actually felt a dislike for a couple of them.

When Kris suggested I come along to dinner with the american "Personnel Recovery" team and Jhon Pinchao I was pleased to have a chance to meet him. The 3 Skinners rotated chairs during dinner to have a chance to talk to him.

A word here about dinner with diplomats: I always brace myself for their pretentious talk, they talk about themselves all night and don't tolerate much talk from anyone else. I suppose that's a negative view, but there it is.

In the case of Mr Pinchao, I was impressed at his unpretentious manner; it was as though every irritation and stress had been refined out of him. I asked him if he was tired of people asking him the same questions over and over, he said "me inviten con mucho cariño y lo recibo." He said the Discovery Channel special about him was not correct and that he had no creative control over it, he said this without annoyance.
In fact, as I reflect, I think I showed more jitteryness than he did, he was absolutely tranquil and accepting of everything people said to him, and did not tire of people's opinionating and self congratulating.

Again I am marvelling at the Colombian resiliance in the face of problems. I am impressed by their national character strengths, speaking in general terms. I will be interested to see what he does in the future.

Another side note: I was pleased to see Mark communicating with both Mr Pinchao and the american team. He translated for them with ease and showed no hesitation moving from one group to the other. I am satisfied that we are raising and launching young adults who have an international view and an interest in people.

Posted by Picasa